You can draw users’ attention simply by using powerful images in the web design. Proper use of images can leave a strong first impression and convey messages effectively. Almost all websites use images, however only a few use them properly to achieve the best results possible. An image in your website should be shocking, striking, interesting, sexy and intriguing. You should be able to draw favorable emotional reactions from visitors. Images can communicate messages faster than texts and powerful images can be much more effective than ordinary ones.
Before attempting to employ powerful images in your website, you should understand common purposes of images in a website.
- Achieve attractive look: The most obvious reason for using pictures and images is to create a visually attractive and appealing design. Although you can achieve the desired look with balance, spacing, typography and color schemes; images make a significant impact as well
- Add color: Images can give color to website designs that look rudimentary or very plain. A color scheme can work better when paired with well-chosen images and give your website more depth. Improper use of navigation, buttons, background and colored texts can make a website looks overwhelming; on the other hand images can add variety without causing similar negative consequence.
- Add personality: When working with a web design you should create something that users can connect with. Images can give a sense of personality to your website and they are more effective in establishing connection than a simple text. For example, readers can connect to a website better, if they can see the authors’ image on every blog post.
- Improve branding: Branding should be your priority and effective use of images can help you to establish brand by building a specific vision in your visitors’ mind. Images that are used properly to support your branding can lead visitors to see your business in a desired light. While text is still essential and useful for branding, you should still use images to communicate messages more powerfully.
- Represent products: If you sell a tangible product, you certainly need images to let people see your products. People need to see what they are buying and by adding photographs you can give them more confidence, which can help you to boost sales.
- Catch attention: Images are often the first thing people see when a website loads for the first time in their screen. You should let people understand what’s in your website in a single glance and encourage them to stay.
Understanding powerful images
In many ways, powerful images serve similar purposes with general images, but they do so much more effectively. For example, a typical image can make your website looks more attractive and add some life to it. On the other hand, powerful images can be so strong that it becomes the focal point of your website. However, using too many powerful images can drown out the message and distract your visitor. Powerful images in a website can enhance user perception. For example, these images can evoke specific emotions and thoughts:
- * Water commonly portrays thoughts of freshness, cleanliness or purity
- * Sprouts and plans demonstrate life and growth
- * Light is used frequently to represent energy, ideas and creativity
These are common qualities of powerful images that are not available in general images
- More vivid: These images jump out to users and they hold a significant amount of power in terms of attractiveness and communication ability. For example, a large image that portrays a young, sprouting plant in a person’s hand conveys a message of bright future, hope and growth.
- Capture attention more effectively: While almost all images in general can grab attention better, faster and more effectively than text; powerful images can work even better.
- More memorable: A striking, powerful image can last much longer in visitors’ mind. Text may be forgotten easily after it is read, but people can remember powerful images for days or weeks. You should be aware that a powerful image will still be useless, if you fail to associate it with your products and goals of your website.
How to create a powerful image?
- Use sex appeal: Images that capture attention by using sex appeal can be highly effective. For example, use an image of attractive woman if your visitors are mostly male. Because sex appeal is a subjective matter, you should make sure that the image can be accepted universally.
- Take image from the background: Many powerful images used in websites are actually removed from the background. It is a common technique to create an image that stands out, which fits with the overall style and color of the website. Consequently, the image will be able to deliver the message clearly with less distraction.
- Use lighting effects: Shadows and lighting can create a striking image. You can adjust lighting when the images are taken by photographer and you may further enhance it using an editing software such as Adobe Photoshop.
- Combine an image with simple text: You can make an image powerful by combining it with a simple image. You should take the most of short attention span of your visitors and send the most essential message quickly, by using an attention-gripping text and image. Motivational pictures are good examples of a combination of image and text. The message should be clear, simple and short. Ideally, the image and message should complement each other to create the desired impression.
What affects the success of a powerful image?
- Size: If you want to create an impressive image, it should be reasonably large, so it can capture attention and become a substantial part of your design. Some websites use landing pages that are consisted of a large image and a small text. Overall, you can’t expect strength from a tiny image.
- Quality: The image quality contributes to the strength of an image. The higher the quality of an image, the more powerful it is. However, the image quality shouldn’t be excessively high that the file size becomes too large, so you should define a good balance between the two. You can’t expect strength from a blurry or grainy image.
- Simplicity: The primary goal of a powerful image is to create a strong, lasting impression with readers in the shortest time possible. So obviously, simplicity is the key. If you have too many things going on in an image, you may inadvertently dampen its impact and distract your visitors. Simplicity should expand beyond the image, for example you should have simple, but elegant navigation. You can’t expect strength from an image that tries to deliver too many messages.
- Colors: You can deliver a significant impact to visitors’ perception by using colors properly. Make sure the color can support your brand and message. Green, red and blue are well liked by many people. You can’t expect strength from image with color that contradicts with the website’s message.